- Ensure that all relevant project & contractor information is filled out. This information should have been completed at the beginning of the design process.
- It is strongly advised that all users create settings files. In regards to stock listing, a majority of fabrication standards, pipelines and stock listing options can be created prior to starting this process. The use of settings files will not only increase efficiency, but will also allow for more consistency.
- At this point, all fittings and couplings should have been inserted on the plan. Enable the Show Leaks function (View > Show Leaks > Show All) and fix all problems related to disconnected and/or incompatible pipe, fittings and pipe end preps. Performing this check will eliminate most problems encountered during stock listing.
- Note: Some leaks may not require fixing (e.g. open ended riser/pipe extending to an upper floor or a segment of drain piping leading to the exterior of a building).
Pipe labels and text clean up:
- Ensure that cut length labels have been selected on all sprinkler piping and that total length labels have been deselected to ensure that the pipe labels on the plan will match the fabrication reports.
- Prior to creating pipelines, clean up the text/pipe labels on the drawing. This will ensure an efficient and accurate review of the assigned pipelines and stock listing reports.
Assigning specific list areas:
- In the Listing menu, Assign List Area can be used to create multiple list areas. This allows the creation of specific list areas based on the installation sequence of sprinkler piping and/or individual sprinkler system zones.
Creation of pipelines:
- Optional: Turn off unnecessary layers during stock listing. Depending on the size and complexity of the drawing, this may help to better focus on creating and reviewing pipelines.
- Be aware that the location of the benchmark will have a significant impact on the direction of pipeline labels and branch line numbering.
- When selecting sprinkler system components for pipeline creation, it is tempting to select the entire drawing at once. Choosing smaller groups of elements will provide the user with more control over specific labeling options and less time will be spent editing pipeline labels.
- Assign pipelines to welded branch lines & threaded branch lines separately. Including segment labeling of welded branch lines and excluding segment labeling of threaded branch lines simultaneously is not an option.
Generating & printing stock list reports:
Prior to printing stock list reports, preview each report individually. Additional errors or problems may be detected before printing.
- Preview the Material Summary, Material Summary, Threaded, and Material Summary, Welded reports for the accuracy of pipe types, pipe outlets and fittings.
- Preview the various threaded fabrication/branch line reports for fittings that may have been omitted from the list area. This scenario will most likely be indicated by a “No Fitting” designation under the “Fitting” column in the report. To remedy this problem, go back to the drawing and make sure that the missing fittings are assigned to the specific list area and, in some situations, review the direction of the pipeline and reverse the pipeline segment if necessary.
- Select every pipe and under the Finish menu, choose Labels > Update Existing Labels > Apply Update To Selected Labels. This will ensure that the pipe cut lengths located on the fabrication reports match the pipe cut lengths on the sprinkler plan.
- It is always recommended to review each fabrication report against the sprinkler plan in order to verify the accuracy of each stock list report.